Posted:September 18, 2023
Our client, a well established public accounting firm in Sudbury, Ontario is growing and looking for a Senior Manager, Assurance.
We are looking for a driven, detail oriented, and resourceful problem solver to lead our existing Small Business Assurance team in Sudbury, Ontario. If you are a middle to advanced career CPA with a focus on service quality and a collaborative approach to client engagement, we want to hear from you!
As the successful candidate, you are highly organized and already have your CPA designation complimented with 7 + years of progressive work experience in public accounting. You are known by your colleagues for your analytical thinking, poise under pressure, and ability to coordinate information sharing across diverse stakeholder groups. You understand the need to meet statutory deadlines but also understand when to be flexible with respect to evolving priorities. Above all, integrity and a commitment to ethics influences your decision-making process.
The Senior Manager, Small Business Assurance is a professional, who with the support of our Managers and Partners of the Firm, will plan, review, and deliver year end assurance engagements and train senior, intermediate, and junior staff in accordance with the Firm’s Quality Assurance Manual.
- Deliver client engagements, while providing thoughtful audit, assurance, and advisory support to a variety of private sector, owner managed SMEs and not-for-profit organizations
- Understand and employ the firm’s assurance engagement methodology
- Plan, scope, and lead complex assurance and audit engagements both independently and as part of a team, governed by ASPE and Canadian Auditing and Review Standards.
- Collaborate with Partners on the engagement method and execute the engagement plan using a risk-based approach.
- Organize information and manage staff involvement for large groups of owner managed SMEs.
- Review work performed by intermediate and senior Staff Accountants for standard and complex assurance engagements.
- Interact with clients to help ensure the flow of information from client to the assurance team and vice versa is efficient.
- Supervise Staff Accountants on engagement teams and function as a Senior Manager, monitoring and coaching productivity and adherence to the work plan and budget
- Provide insightful feedback on reviewed financial statements and prepare other client deliverables such as board communications, deficiency letters, management letters, etc.
- Deliver technical expertise in audit and assurance through client interactions, reports, technical work, management presentations and the creation of high-quality client deliverables.
- Collaborate with client engagement team prior to commencement of client work to discuss roles and responsibilities, risk areas, materiality, and deadlines
- Review, investigate, and correct discrepancies and irregularities in financial entries and reports.
- Think strategically about client needs by understanding their business and associated key risks.
- Leverage team appropriately to ensure proper documentation is prepared for the client and procedures relating to the file are followed accordingly.
- Prepare, review, and file federal and provincial tax returns for individual and corporate clients (T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, T5013 etc.) independently and as part of a broader engagement team. This includes:
- Preparation and review of corporate tax returns in accordance with Firm standards for Canadian-based corporations, Canadian subsidiaries of foreign-based corporations, and Canadian-based corporations with operations in foreign jurisdictions; and
- Good understanding of personal tax returns, terminal returns, estate returns and trust returns along with various information returns.
- Lead multiple client-facing engagement teams ensuring that client and Partner expectations are clearly communicated to the engagement team.
- Manage a portfolio of private sector, owner managed clients while ensuring their service needs are addressed in a timely manner.
- Be accountable for project financials (budgets, WIP, timely billing, variance recognition).
- Maintain high quality control by reviewing work done from other team members for accuracy and completeness; provide feedback and coaching to Assurance Staff Accountants.
- Monitor project timelines against targets, adjust where necessary; advise clients of project status and seek clarification on discrepancies where applicable.
- Liaise and correspond professionally with clients, colleagues, and the Firm leadership team.
- Promote regular attendance, balanced lifestyle, and high standard of team
- Identify performance improvement opportunities for team wellness.
- Conduct formal, written annual performance reviews.
- Contribute to the preparation and delivery of competitive proposals to meet client needs.
- Network in the local business community and consider new business development opportunities.
- Contribute to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve work processes.
- Mentor, motivate, and coach team members towards professional and personal development goals by setting clear expectations, providing feedback, and addressing performance issues promptly.
- Keep up to date on industry developments by reading trade publications and other relevant thought leadership.
- Respond to technical questions from all professional staff regarding accounting and assurance- related matters.
- Conduct research on relevant accounting issues, new standards, and their application to private enterprise.
- Maintain responsibility for certain aspects of staff and executive training including course development and course instruction.
- Prepare and present seminars or informational fact sheets to clients on relevant accounting pronouncements.
Qualifications and other requirements
- CPA designation with a minimum of 7 years’ experience in audit and assurance required.
- Strong working knowledge of ASPE standards required.
- Working knowledge of the Canadian Income Tax Act and Excise Tax Act.
- Proficiency with Caseware or other accounting software is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, ) required.
- Related experience supporting owner-managed private corporations is an asset.
- Familiarity with various accounting programs and software is considered an asset.
- Strong project management, problem-solving, time management and prioritizing skills.
- Dedication to teamwork, leadership, and integrity within a professional environment.
- Excellent communication skills, with previous experience in a customer service-related position; strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Commitment to continuous learning.
- Commitment to organization and high performance.
- Job type: Full-time
- Experience: Audit and Assurance (7+ years), Public Accounting (5 years)
- License: CPA
- Work Set-up: This position requires working from the office
- Language: English, French (asset)
Benefits of working at the firm:
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package
- Health, dental, disability, and life insurance
- Personal and bereavement days
- Education assistance
- Sick leave
- Culture of lifelong learning
- Supportive and collaborative work environment
- Enthusiastic and participative team spirit
- Commitment to community engagement
- Flexible hours to allow for work life balance
- Casual Friday dress policy
- Free parking
Firm Profile – Not your typical accounting firm!
Our client’s mission is to maintain economic opportunity for entrepreneurs, their organizations, and our communities. Working primarily with private sector business owners and community organizations, they simplify complex organizational challenges by building more robust business relationships.
Through the assurance, advisory, and taxation lines of our business, 35 professionals ensure clients and their teams meet compliance and reporting requirements. Additionally, they work directly with clients’ decision makers to reduce information risk, proactively seeking to identify, mitigate, and manage risk appropriately in their businesses.
Community Profile – We’re no longer a lunar landscape!
Sudbury, Ontario is the City of Lakes! Located in the center of North-eastern Ontario, our municipality is the second largest by landmass in Canada, home to over 330 lakes and 166,000 Sudburians. As the economic hub of Northern Ontario, Sudbury continues to grow and evolve to support our bustling industries. As the hub, our local economy provides private and public sector services to a broader catchment area of approximately 650,000 Ontarians.
With an eclectic mix of urban, suburban, and wilderness environments we consider Sudbury a Northern Paradise catering to any lifestyle. Whether you’re into sports, music, the food scene, outdoor leisure, lake life, or the arts Sudbury has something of substance for everyone.
We thank all applicants for their interest. We will however, only contact those whose skills and experience closely match our requirements for the position.
Offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise our team if you require accommodation.
Interested candidates please contact Stephanie Williams at (416) 945-6601 ext. 231 or forward your resumes to email@example.com.