Posted:February 26, 2022
Our client, a well established public accounting firm in Sudbury, Ontario is looking for a Manager, Tax Advisory Services.
We are looking for a driven, detail oriented, and resourceful problem solver to complement our existing tax team in Sudbury, Ontario. If you are an early to mid‐career CPA or Tax Professional with a focus on quality and a collaborative approach to client engagement, we want to hear from you!
As the successful candidate you are highly organized and already have your CPA designation or equivalent, complimented with 5 + years of progressive work experience. You are known by your colleagues for your analytical thinking, poise under pressure, and ability to coordinate information sharing across diverse stakeholder groups. With compassion and integrity, you understand the need to meet statutory deadlines but also understand when to be flexible with respect to changing priorities.
The Manager, Tax Advisory Services is a professional who with the support of our Tax Partners and other senior tax professionals, will research, plan, and deliver the tax compliance and advisory services of the Firm. In this role, the Manager will be part of a broader team providing full range of tax and advisory services to owner managed, private sector businesses.
- Prepare, review, and file federal and provincial tax returns for individual and corporate clients (T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, T5013 etc.) independently and as part of a broader engagement team. This includes:
- Preparation and review of corporate tax returns in accordance with Firm standards for Canadian‐based corporations, Canadian subsidiaries of foreign‐based corporations, and Canadian‐based corporations with operations in foreign jurisdictions; and
- Preparing and reviewing personal tax returns, terminal returns, estate returns and trust returns along with various information returns.
- Work closely with the Tax Partners and other senior staff to develop and implement complex tax planning assignments for corporate and private clients.
- Research and interpret tax issues and prepare memorandums, client letters, and develop opinions on a variety of tax issues.
- Prepare tax provision and accruals in accordance with applicable accounting
- Assist in the development and implementation of tax and estate planning
- Liaise and be a primary point of contact with tax authorities on tax audits and
- Perform advanced technical research and document tax plan recommendations for
- Maintain a strong knowledge base of Canadian tax rules and regulations, growing this base over
- Establish a requisite knowledge base of cross border, commodity, and transactional tax rules and regulations for specific client This includes a working and growing knowledge of transfer pricing regulations.
- Collaborate with senior management on file planning and completion with the established time
- Provide effective leadership, mentorship, and skills development that support the values of the
- Provide personal and attentive service to clients to encourage productive working
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients including communication to arrange timing of file work.
- Develop appropriate knowledge, skills, and competencies consistent with the CPA professional development requirements as well as professional workplace competencies.
- Other related duties as
Qualifications and other requirements
- CPA designation or tax professional equivalent with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in public accounting or public tax administration.
- Completion of or working towards completion of the In‐Depth Tax Program or Masters of Tax
- Working knowledge of Canadian tax acts (Income Tax Act, Excise Tax Act, Retail Sales Act, Business Corporations Act, Limited Partnerships Act, Not‐for‐profit Corporations Act, etc.).
- Proficiency with Caseware and tax prep is
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, ) required.
- Related experience supporting owner‐managed private corporations is an
- Familiarity with various accounting programs and software is considered an
- Strong project management, problem‐solving, time management and prioritizing
- Dedication to teamwork, leadership, and integrity within a professional
- Excellent communication skills, with previous experience in a customer service‐related position; strong interpersonal and relationship building
- Commitment to continuous
- Commitment to organization and high
- Reliable vehicle and good driving record required as this role will require limited local
Job type: Full‐time
Experience: Audit and Assurance or Tax Planning (5 years), Public Accounting (5 years)
Location: Sudbury, On
Language: English, French (asset)
Benefits of working at the firm:
- Culture of lifelong learning
- Supportive and collaborative work environment
- Enthusiastic and participative team spirit
- Commitment to community engagement
- Flexible hours to allow for work life balance
- Casual Friday dress policy
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits
Firm Profile – We’re not your typical accounting firm!
Our client’s mission is to maintain economic opportunity for entrepreneurs, their organizations, and our communities. Working primarily with private sector business owners and community organizations, they simplify complex organizational challenges by building more robust business relationships.
Through the assurance, advisory, and taxation lines of our business, 35 professionals ensure clients and their teams meet compliance and reporting requirements. Additionally, we work directly with our clients’ decision makers to reduce information risk, proactively seeking to identify, mitigate, and manage risk appropriately in their businesses.
Community Profile – We’re no longer a lunar landscape!
Sudbury, Ontario is the City of Lakes! Located in the center of North‐eastern Ontario, our municipality is the second largest by landmass in Canada, home to over 330 lakes and 166,000 Sudburians. As the economic hub of Northern Ontario, Sudbury continues to grow and evolve to support our bustling industries. As the hub, our local economy provides private and public sector services to a broader catchment area of approximately 650,000 Ontarians.
With an eclectic mix of urban, suburban, and wilderness environments we consider Sudbury a Northern Paradise catering to any lifestyle. Whether you’re into sports, music, the food scene, outdoor leisure, lake life, or the arts Sudbury has something of substance for everyone.
We thank all applicants for their interest. We will however, only contact those whose skills and experience closely match our requirements for the position.
Offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise our team if you require accommodation.