Posted:January 8, 2020
Our client, a European corporate and investment bank is expanding in Canada and has an immediate need for a Vice President, Credit Portfolio Management
Coverage and Investment Banking/Client Credit Group-Financial Institutions (CORI/CCG). The mission CCG/FIG is to provide credit analysis and manage the credit relationship with clients of the Financial Institution Group and Global Markets sectors.
The individual will be responsible for credit analysis and management of a portfolio of client credit relationships, predominantly in the life insurance industry, with a more modest focus on P&C and reinsurance. Geographic region is predominantly USA, with lesser emphasis on Canada. The candidate should have expertise in the credit analysis and supporting ratios and metrics, insurance accounting, and regulatory matters. Product lines encompass committed lending facilities, structured transactions, OTC and listed derivatives, foreign exchange, and repo. Day to day responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Process credit requests in a timely manner to meet business deadlines and maintain the annual review cycle.
- Research and analyze financial data on the client to prepare high quality analysis in credit applications that address client credit risk and transaction risk.
- Conduct economic and insurance sector research covering North America to support the analysis.
- Exercise strong credit judgment skills when recommending credit facilities, taking into consideration facility size, tenor, and suitability for client.
- Use insurance rating model to propose counterparty ratings.
- Manage key components of counterparty credit administration such as internal ratings, trading documentation (ISDA/CSA, GMRA, GMSLA, FAA), and replacement risk limits. Establish credit terms for legal documents and follow up with legal department on negotiations.
- Perform ongoing monitoring of client credit quality to identify a possible deterioration of credit quality.
- Monitor exposure and manage credit limit exceptions. Adapt to ongoing accounting and regulatory changes that affect credit limits and exposure.
- Coordinate all aspects of a credit request, liaising with FIG relationship managers, business lines, legal staff, and Risk Division.
- Ability to organize time and manage deliverables to deadlines
- Ability to identify and accommodate shifting priorities with little notice
- Ability to complete work with minimal or no supervision
- Possess a high degree of enthusiasm and energy to fulfill job requirements and to possibly gain exposure to other non-bank financial institution sectors.
- Ability to work in a team environment, interfacing with team members, front office bankers and salespersons, risk team, and clients.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate counterparty risk and financial condition utilizing quantitative and qualitative data.
- Proficiency using Word for written analysis and Excel for spreadsheet analysis
- Ability to acquire knowledge of the accounting, legal and regulatory issues governing relevant sectors.
- Ability to investigate/research/synthesize data and make appropriate conclusions as to what is causing the observed result(s)
- Ability to write concisely and in a way that conveys analysis and conclusions without minimal follow-up questions
- Develop competency with internal systems.
- Knowledge of capital markets/traded products and committed financing facilities.
PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE
- 8-10 years of credit analysis experience with focus on the insurance industry
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in French, Spanish or Portuguese a plus
Please Note: This role can be located out of Montreal or Toronto.