Posted:November 16, 2023
Our client, a well-established multinational manufacturing company is hiring. Collins Recruitment Group has partnered with them in search of a Controller.
Job Summary: This role provides leadership and management of all financial resources related processes, ensuring these processes are aligned with the strategic direction and annual goals of the organization.
• College diploma or University Accounting degree (CPA designation preferred)
• A minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in a decentralized manufacturing environment with complete responsibility for the finance function; automotive/industrial experience is preferred
• Managed a team of at least four direct reports with proven leadership and problem solving skills
• An independent critical thinker who displays attention to detail
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal and time management skills with the ability to multi-task
• Knowledge of Bill 198 internal control requirements
• Advanced knowledge of Excel and Word
Critical Success Factors:
• Demonstrated focus and drive to achieve targets, budgets and results using an assertive style.
• Desire to become a business partner to the general manager by thoroughly understanding the business, providing accurate and timely information to the management team, taking the initiative to identify and implement costs saving projects that will assist in improving the overall profitability of the plant.
• Desire and ability to learn about the business and understand the production process by attending and participating in daily production meetings and regularly walking through the production floor to develop the necessary link between the production processes and the financial statements.
• Educate and train departmental managers of the financial impact of their decisions and hold them accountable to a predetermined budget.
• Clearly communicate weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual financial results to the general manager and Corporate including explanations of variances of actual compared to weekly forecast and budget.
• Effectively manage and take complete ownership and control of the finance department with respect to month-end reporting as well as day-to-day activities.
• Proven self-starter, who requires limited supervision and direction, yet achieves tasks and overcomes problems and provides effective direction and development for staff.
• Adopts an active approach and a perpetual willingness to get personally involved in order to increase the pace and efficiency and achieve departmental, plant and Company goals and objectives.
• Consistently thinking beyond the borders of finance to help create a culture of continuous improvement.
• Embraces the challenge of problem solving and identifying and implementing well thought through practical solutions
• Must work in accordance with Health & Safety regulations, company rules, policies and procedures
• Must use or wear equipment, protective devices or clothing as required by the company
• Responsible for the entire financial function at the plant, including cash flow, accounts receivable, inventory, capital assets, accounts payable, payroll, inter-company transactions and other related accruals and receivables.
• Comply with Corporate reporting requirements on weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis ensuring compliance with company accounting policies and procedures.
• On a weekly basis, prepare and review the plants weekly forecast and communicate any changes for the previous weeks forecast to the General Manager. On a monthly basis, explain the differences between the actual results
and the previous weeks forecast, and the previous months’ actual results. Review and approve standard and non-standard journal entries each month.
• Implement and maintain internal controls at the plant to ensure compliance with the Bill 198 requirements.
• Proactively provide continuous improvement ideas relating to both financial and production processes.
• Prepare the annual budget for the plant by leading the entire budget process at the plant by requesting various departmental head involvement in the process of the development of manpower and controllable material budgets so they are held accountable for any variances from budget each month. Work closely with the GM to ensure that all budgeted changes and cost saving initiatives and new or lost business awards are correctly captured in the budget.
• Work closely with all departmental heads to identify any inefficiencies in processes and potential cost saving initiatives including freight costs savings, outsourced production parts savings, improvements in inventory management, reduced scrap and develop and lead projects to ensure timely realization of the identified costs savings.
• Review accounts receivable aging each month and proactively follow-up on collections issues with subordinates.
• Manage the local annual external audit by completing the Corporate audit kit with all the required supporting reconciliations and documentation, ensuring that no audit adjustments are identified during the audit.
• Provide all the necessary information to the internal audit department during their audit and immediately address any concerns that are identified.
• Assist with the review of customer quotations prior to submitting for review and approval.
• Thoroughly understand all capital spending projects prior to submitting to Corporate for review and approval, including payback calculations. Collect & review all information required for capital requests, ensuring all local approval received.
• Lead the physical inventory counts and inventory valuation.
• Complete performance appraisals for subordinated ensuring continuous development of staff.
• Abide by all Company polices including, but not limited to the following; Health and safety, Quality and Environmental Systems, Human Resources policies, and the Company Employee Handbook
• Must understand the six elements of the Quality System, Record Retention, Document Control, Non-conforming Material, Corrective Action, Preventative Action, and internal audits as well as department procedures.
• Demonstrate 5S Methodology in your work area
• Both office setting and production environment
• Constant communication with employees, peers, and management
• Ability to work on computer for long periods of time
• Ability to be present on the production floor on a daily basis
Health and Safety Responsibilities
• Must work in accordance with Health and Safety regulations, Company Rules, Plant Rules, policies and procedures
• Must use or wear personal protective equipment and certain clothing as required by the Company
• Perform other duties as required
• This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive list of duties and responsibilities required for this job. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice