Posted:April 13, 2022
Our client, a diversified financial services organization, is looking for an AVP, Business Development located in Victoria BC.
Lead and achieve strategic business development objectives to build and maintain a high-value portfolio of large, diversified commercial clients, with average loan and deposit values greater than $10MM, in a specified geographic market. Works closely with product partners to develop the right products to tap market opportunities. Manages the risk-reward parameters within acceptable levels towards achieving optimal business performance.
This individual contributor leadership role is the “face of the BANK” in the market in conjunction with the branch manager, and is responsible to deliver full-service banking and financial solutions for clients, with underwriting support from the Manager, Commercial Accounts, and other internal partners.
- Undertake and be accountable for independent sales activities to achieve annual loan, deposit, and cash management sales, revenue, volume and new customer objectives
- Provide full-service solutions for clients with the view to be every client’s primary financial partner
- Expertly negotiate to optimize overall profitability of relationships with new and existing clients based on return guidelines, customer risk profile, total banking relationship, and competitive environment
- Responsibility to actively refer to other business partners both within branch banking and across the bank, and respond effectively to reciprocal referrals
- Execute an independent marketing plan that includes considerable portions of time being devoted to a call program and developing self-generated leads, to achieve targeted business growth mix, with a focus on larger mid-market commercial clients ($10MM+ loan and deposit volume).
- Use existing, well-established sphere of influence with industry and other external contacts to generate new business opportunities through referrals, as well as a targeting calling program.
- Deliver exceptional client experiences at every interaction and execute on plans to continuously build the client experience, in line with the bank brand promise
- Maintain expert knowledge of clients and prospects, market, competition, and economic factors, in conjunction with robust understanding of key business issues and trends.
- Identify and respond to changes in the business environment, establishing action plans to address customer issues and priorities
- Strongly established skills in structuring creative, competitive solutions to meet client needs, leveraging internal partnerships and specialists where appropriate
- Develop and execute a relationship strategy for each client, identifying the key issues surrounding the relationship and implement a strategy to facilitate the expansion of our partnership with the business
- Enhance bank and personal brand profile by being active in the business community and participating in networking events
- Be highly visible as the face of the bank, in conjunction with the branch manager, with larger businesses and related professionals in the market, and be well-known as a trusted business advisor who is sought after for guidance regarding matters relating to the credit facilities that are supporting the clients’ business strategy.
- Be accountable for prudent lending with proactive risk management, including appropriate/timely monitoring, due diligence and recommendations, together with the commercial credit team.
- Complete all compliance training and attestations within required timelines
- Adhere to bank policies/procedures and Code of Conduct, keeping up to date with any new or revised guidelines.
- Leads by example sing client relationship management tools to facilitate effective performance management, activity planning and sales processes, including building and maintaining a robust sales pipeline.
- Lead by example to promote a positive environment that supports a fun, high-performing and diverse
- Act as a champion and role model for change in line with bank strategy.
- Live the bank cultural values of integrity, accountability, respect, common sense and caring every day.
- Actively prepare for and participate in the performance management and personal development processes.
Impact & Magnitude of Job
- Responsible for growing and managing a portfolio of commercial clients, focusing on fully franchising client and prospect relationships, with portfolio requirements over $10MM
- Role is expected to “own” the local market segment and be the “face of bank” in the business community in conjunction with the branch manager
- Expectation to identify opportunities for their own portfolios and others within the branch and partner companies
- Expectation to actively refer opportunities, providing pursuit support and guidance on those opportunities to team members and open doors that will enhance the overall banking relationship,
- As an individual contributor, this role is responsible to mentor, coach and develop junior employees
- Assist the Branch Manager with strategy, including the preparation of the Annual Business Plan
- Credit Analysis is not a major component of the accountabilities for this role, although based on volumes may be required to meet customer expectations. Deal structuring and review of credit analysis will be required.
- Ensure the safety of the Bank’s funds through proper AML/KYC practices and loan portfolio management with focus on loan quality, exposure limits and security requirements
- Ensure efficient and effective operations with strong data integrity including strong collaboration with other bank teams
- Ensure products and services are sold and operate in a compliant manner, minimizing regulatory compliance and operational risk
- Branch employees, including managers
- Corporate office employees, including senior leaders
- Partner company employees, including managers
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Undergraduate degree in commerce, finance or accounting disciplines
- 8+ years of commercial lending and sales or related work experience
- Experienced in the development and implementation of effective sales strategies & plans
- Previous sales management experience is an asset
- Proven ability to continually generate new business and grow an existing portfolio of very large mid- market commercial customers, with complex credit needs, across multiple industries Strong coaching and leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal, cooperation and negotiation skills.
- Sound problem solving skills and judgement.
- Subject matter expert in alternative lending solutions and complex financial needs, across multiple industries
- Proven analytical and risk management skills
- Commitment to working within and contributing to continuous improvement of defined sales and performance management processes
- Proven ability to work well in a team-based business environment where you are expected to balance sales, cross-selling, servicing and referrals to business partners.
- Strong computer and business modeling skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive, with grace and humour, under pressure
- Results-oriented, collaborative and respectful of the capabilities and contributions of all bank team members
Interested candidates please contact Stephanie Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.