Posted:August 23, 2021
Our client, a leading automotive supplier, is looking for an Assistant Controller to join their team.
A diversified global automotive supplier engaged in the design, development and manufacturing of metal parts, assemblies and modules, complex fluid management systems and aluminum products. They employ approximately 15,000 skilled and motivated people at manufacturing, engineering and technical centers in Canada, the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Slovakia, Spain and China. Their business strategy leverages world-class technologies, motivated and talented people, and high-quality products.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for all aspects of financial management, including cash flow, accounts receivable, inventory, capital assets, accounts payable, inter-company transactions and other related accruals and receivables. They must have the desire to act as a business partner, supporting decision making by thoroughly understanding the business, providing accurate and timely information to the management team, taking the initiative and support Operations to identify, evaluate and implement costs saving projects (OPEX) that will assist in improving the overall profitability of the plant.
- The Assistant Controller is responsible for the review of the monthly reconciliation binder prepared by the financial team that provides support for all balance sheet accounts.
- They will comply with corporate reporting requirements on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis ensuring compliance with accounting policies and procedures.
- The Assistant Controller will, on a weekly basis, prepare and review the plants weekly forecast and communicate any changes from the previous weeks forecast to the General Manager and Corporate. On a monthly basis, they will explain the differences between the actual results and the previous weeks forecast, budgets and the previous month’s actual results using the monthly financial bridge template.
- They will review and approve standard and non-standard journal entries each month.
- The Assistant Controller will implement and maintain internal controls at the plant to ensure compliance with the SOX/Bill198 TSX public company requirements.
- They will proactively provide continuous improvement ideas relating to both financial and production processes.
- They will work closely with all departmental heads to identify any inefficiencies in processes and potential cost saving initiatives including freight costs savings, outsourced production parts savings, improvements in inventory management, reduced scrap, evaluate buy/make decision and develop/lead projects to ensure timely realization of the identified costs savings.
- They will provide all the necessary information to the internal audit department during their audit and immediately address any concerns that are identified.
- The Assistant Controller will thoroughly understand all capital spending projects prior to submitting to Corporate for review and approval, including payback calculations. Collecting and reviewing all information required for capital requests, ensuring all local approval has been received.
- They will actively participate in the quarterly physical inventory counts with plant operations and take a lead from finance side to support the count Ensure accuracy/validation of the counts and inventory valuation.
- They will provide support and contribute to the quality, environmental requirements and regulations as well as the implementation and maintenance of Company Manufacturing Systems at the plant.
- Other ad-hoc duties as required.
Critical Success Factors:
- Demonstrates focus and drive to achieve targets, budgets and results through effective financial leadership.
- Demonstrates focus and drive to achieve targets, budgets and results through development and maintenance of operational and financial KPI’s/Dashboards.
- Desire and ability to learn about the business and understand the production process by attending and participating in daily production meetings and regularly walking through the production floor to develop the necessary link between the production processes and the financial statements.
- Oversee the education and development of departmental staff while fostering an environment based on teamwork and accountability.
- Partners with the General Manager to educate and train departmental managers on the financial impact of their decisions and hold them accountable to a predetermined budget.
- Clearly communicate by effectively presenting weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual financial results to the general manager and Corporate including explanations of variances of actual compared to prior forecast and budget.
- Effectively manage and take complete ownership and control of the finance department with respect to month-end reporting as well as day-to-day activities.
- Proven self-starter, who requires limited supervision and direction, yet achieves tasks and overcomes problems, provides effective direction and development for staff, and lead them by example.
- Adopts a proactive approach and a perpetual willingness to get personally involved in order to increase the pace and efficiency and achieve Departmental, Plant and Company goals and objectives.
- Consistently thinking beyond the borders of finance to help create a culture of continuous improvement.
- Embraces the challenge of problem solving and identifying and implementing well thought through practical solutions.
Required Education and Experience:
- College diploma or University Accounting degree (CA, CMA or CPA designation preferred)
- A minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in a decentralized manufacturing environment with complete responsibility for the finance function; automotive experience is preferred
- Managed a team of at least five direct reports with proven leadership and problem- solving skills
- An independent critical thinker who displays attention to detail
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and time management skills with the ability to multi-task
- Experience in working in an AS400 environment (CMS or Solarsoft experience is preferred)
- Knowledge of Bill 198/SOX internal control requirements
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and Word
- Office environment and plant floor
- Overtime as required
- Working in a great team environment
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- 401K with company match
- Short term and long-term disability coverage
- Safety shoe and prescription safety glasses reimbursement
- Supplier discounts
- Tuition reimbursement and training opportunities
Job Type: Full Time Salaried
Interested candidates please contact Stephanie Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.